Assistant Professor in Optical Wireless Convergent Networks and Systems
The Department of Electrical Engineering has a vacancy for an Assistant Professor in Optical Wireless Convergent Networks and Systems. This vacancy is part of the IrÃ¨ne Curie Fellowship, and is only open for female candidates in the first six months of recruitment.
TU Eindhoven (TU/e) is a mid-size technical university located in the heart of the high-tech industry in the Netherlands, named the Brainport region. Eindhoven is the fifth largest city in the Netherlands, and including suburbs it has about 420,000 inhabitants. TU/e is a highly ranked university both in research and education. Our training and research programs are highly regarded and we foster close relationships with companies, organizations and research institutes in the Brainport region and beyond. Fundamental and applied research are equally valued here. The high rank of the TU/e is due to the impact of its scientific research and also to its scientific copublications with industry. TU/e is a social and inspiring university with a fine culture. You will quickly feel at home, surrounded by people who share your scientific ambitions. The TU/e currently has nine departments, with over 11,000 students in total.
Department of Electrical Engineering
With almost 100 (assistant, associate and full) professors, over 200 PhD and PDEng students, about 800 Bachelor students and 300 Master students, the Department of Electrical Engineering (EE) is one of the largest departments of the TU/e. By performing top-level fundamental and applied research, offering high-quality educational programs, and maintaining strong ties with industry, EE aims to contribute to science and to innovation in and beyond the region. EE currently offers a Bachelor and Master program in Electrical Engineering and participates in several multi-disciplinary masters, such as Systems and Control, Automotive Technology and Sustainable Energy Technology, all taught fully in English. See here for more information about the department.
The department's relationship with the high-tech industry in the Brainport region means that staff and students can contribute directly to the development of technological innovations with real-world relevance. The unique positioning in one of Europe's leading tech regions also means excellent job opportunities for spouses.
Research in Electrical Engineering: ambition meets opportunity in Eindhoven
The department has identified three focus areas ('zwaartepunten') in research in Electrical Engineering:
- Signal Processing and Imaging
- Cyber-Physical Systems
Our nine disciplinary-oriented capacity groups in the department participate in one or more of these focus areas.
This results in the following vacant position:
Assistant Professor in 'Optical Wireless Convergent Networks and Systems'
Current and future wireless and mobile networks architectures, technologies and applications will need to integrate optical technology in order to meet bandwidth, speed, latency, energy and flexibility demands. The position will address this integration on an architectural, implementation and operational level. In particular it will research dynamic and real-time optimization of optical and wireless networks through artificial intelligence and data analytics. It will connect to network research outside the communication domain (e.g. power networks, sensing networks, biological neural networks).
What we are looking for
We seek to appoint academic staff in the three focus areas who are passionate about research as well as teaching. We welcome excellent candidates that can contribute to any of our current areas as well as candidates that bring new research directions to the department. We have openings at all levels, ranging from tenure track assistant professor positions, to associate and full professor positions. The working language in the department and across the university is English. There is no requirement to speak Dutch for applying for these positions.
An important aspect of TU/e's vision on education is that research and education go hand in hand, both at Bachelor and Master level. Next to your research, education is an important part of your job. The TU/e helps its scientific staff to further develop their teaching skills by offering a training program that leads to an official teaching certification from Dutch Universities (University Teaching Qualification).
Furthermore, we require:
- A PhD degree in a relevant area, with a strong publication record in top journals and conferences.
- Excellent communication, organization and leadership skills.
- Strong cooperation skills and the ability to work in a team.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
What we offer
We offer a position in a successful and internationally-oriented department. The department has an attractive starting package for its new faculty members. The city of Eindhoven offers a relaxed, multicultural environment, high quality of life and many options for extra-curricular activities. The city has a mild climate, and it is well-connected by rail, air, and road links with major European cities. The city is at the heart of the Brainport region of Netherlands, a region with rapid growth, innovation and many permanent employment opportunities for expats. TU/e actively facilitates career opportunities for partners. Candidates moving to the Netherlands from abroad may qualify for a tax incentive scheme, where 30% of your income is tax free for a (maximum) period of five years. Click here for more information.
- A challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university with the autonomy to develop your own research line and participate in the curriculum of the department;
- A Tenure Track of five years with the prospect of becoming associate professor. After a maximum of 4 years the tenure decision will be made. If you have a more senior profile, you will receive a tailor-made career proposal.
- As an Irène Curie Fellow, you are entitled to a substantial start-up package to kick-off your career.
- In order to empower you, we provide support such as training programs for academic leadership and the university teaching qualification and a dedicated mentoring program to help you get to know the university and the Dutch (research) environment
- Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
- Additionally, an annual holiday allowance of 8% of the yearly salary, plus a year-end allowance of 8.3% of the annual salary;
- A broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes).
- Family friendly initiatives are in place, such as the Dual Career Opportunity program to support accompanying partners, an international spouse program, and excellent on-campus children day care and sports facilities.
- For more information about the position and any informal enquiries, please contact:
- Center for Wireless Technology Eindhoven: prof.dr.ir. S.M. Heemstra de Groot (s.heemstradegroot[at]tue.nl)
- For information concerning employment conditions click here or contact S. Sonnemans, Recruiter, s.sonnemans[at]tue.nl, phone: + 31 655183097.
If you are interested in this position, you can only use the 'apply now'-button on this page.
Your application must contain the following documents:
- A cover letter explaining your motivation and suitability for the position
- A detailed CV
- A detailed list of publications and achievements
- A research statement
- A teaching statement
- The contact information of two referees
We do not respond to applications that are sent to us in a different way.
Please keep in mind you can upload only 5 documents up to 2 MB each. If necessary please combine files.
Under European jurisdiction it is lawful to specifically recruit underrepresented groups. If no female candidate is found in the first six months of recruitment, this vacancy will be re-opened as a generic vacancy.
Overige advertenties werkgever
GRANTS FOR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH IN THE UNITED STATES
Tenure Track position as Assistant Professor in Machine Learning
Umeå University Umeå
Research Associate, Biomedical Sciences Lab and Research Manager
Tenure-Track Assistant Professor of Russian Literature and Culture
Tenure-Track Professor of Government, Group Politics